Sights

Church newly built in classicist style in Schöndorf

From the terrace platform surrounded by a renewed retaining wall, on has an excellent view. An east-facing hall with semicircular apse, erected in 1838/39 on the site of the predecessor church based on the plans of architect Johann Baptist Bingler. The free-standing bell tower, which already existed at the time of the predecessor church, was redesigned in classicist style. In 1908, it was replaced by a new neo-Romanesque bell tower designed by Ernst Brand from Trier.

It is a cubically clear gabled structure with seven bays and an appropriate, rational structure. The round-arched windows are linked by impost moulding, which, together with the cornice, also connects the chancel, treated as a sub-element. The gabled façade with double-flighted landing stairs is characterised by the staggered rounded arches divided by imposts (recessed blind arches with inscribed, architraved arches, as well as twin entrances). The division continues in the large, bright interior. Here, the glare from the windows falls onto the walls, and the effect is reproduced by the large coffers in the ceiling. The marble high altar was crafted in 1930 in replica baroque style. The columned altar topped with woodwork surrounds a Calvary; the excerpt with the figure of St Andrew.

The statues of the Virgin Mary and St Sebastian, which stand atop columns, have been preserved from the side-altars crafted between 1845 and 1847. Apart from these, there are also decorative statues from the 19th century, and Nazarene-style Stations of the Cross dating back to 1923. The ornate baroque baptismal font made of marble has been preserved from the old church. The gallery is set on cast-iron columns. The free-standing, five-storey bell tower with pavilion roof stands in line with the gabled façade. The three lower levels, divided by sections of plasterwork, include one with round-arched windows and blind arcades, and a bell-storey characterised by triple arcades. At the corner of the tower is a 1920s cenotaph honouring those who fought in the war; a high-quality sandstone statue of St Sebastian stands on a column.

The neo-Romanesque style of the tower, which is reminiscent of the predecessor church, and the strikingly demure, classicist church building merge together as examples of differing architectural movements. The church acts as Schöndorf’s emblem. The secured surrounding area includes the old churchyard with priests’ tombstones near the church’s porch, as well as the vicarage within the complex walls (Hauptstraße 53).

Öffnungszeiten: freely accessible

Karte des Ruwertals

Please click on the map to enlarge.

Back to overview