Sights

Chapel with tabernacle altar in Ollmuth

A construction perched on an elevated hillside ledge, and towering over the village. Given its location, it is south-facing. A three-sectioned plaster construction closing on three sides; the slate roof is hipped on the gable side for the shingled square ridge turret, which has an octagonal top. The gabled façade only accentuates the frame of the three-centred-arched porch, which is designed in a square shape with pilasters and woodwork. The keystone bears the date ANNO DOMINI 1834 in Roman numerals.

The original coffered door leaf with classicist decorative elements has been preserved. In keeping with the time in which it was constructed, the round-arched window frames smoothly accentuate the cross-bar and vertex. The area spanned by a vaulted ceiling, and containing a simple baroque furniture, is dominated by the magnificently carved rococo altar ALTARE PRIVILEGIA TUM DIEBUS LUAE 1750. Elaborate column structures surround a central recess, adorned with putti, as well as ornamental and scenic reliefs. Above the woodwork, bordered by voluted crosspieces, is a pelican, topped by a gloriole with an IHS monogram. The antependium with carved figures and ornamental motifs also forms part of this.

This piece of work, whose creator is unknown, is one of the most artistic rococo altars in the district.

Other decorative statues include one of St Sebastian (17th century) and baroque statues of the Virgin Mary and a prophet. The chapel of ease is a well-preserved example of the perpetuation of a 19th-century baroque style of construction which was prevalent in the Trier region.

Öffnungszeiten: freely accessible

Karte des Ruwertals

Please click on the map to enlarge.

Back to overview