Sights

The Pietà in Pluwig

The church built in 1805 was extended in 1860 and again in 1915. The extremely humble building is home to a striking Pietà in the form of a retable made of grey sandstone. It is located on the left rear wall of the church, and is 76 x 102 cm in size. It dates back to the mid-16th century.

The relief depicts the Virgin Mary after the Deposition from the Cross. The Gothic portrayal of the garments with their deep folds is striking, the face framed by a veil bears an expression full of distress, the eyes are lowered. Christ’s left arm is wrapped around the neck of His Mother, who holds the large, heavily mutilated body of Her Son on her lap. In the front left, the benefactor kneels with a blank escutcheon. A scroll leads from him into the background, with the cross, the Arma Christi and the name of a city. In the corners above the intrados, statues of the prophets hold the holly scriptures. The side frame has foliage climbing up it, as was popular during Renaissance times.

Öffnungszeiten: freely accessible

Karte des Ruwertals

Please click on the map to enlarge.

Back to overview