Sights

Pluwiger Hammer

A former iron smelt with rolling mill and saw mill. The factory most likely dates back to the mill belonging to the Chapter of the Trier Cathedral located along the Ruwer, which was auctioned in 1806, and whose purchaser, Peter Jost, also went by the name of "Fabricant de fer". According to the local chronicle, the iron ore was obtained from the nearby mountains, and the finery forge operated until the 1870s, before becoming a mere cutting and rolling mill.

The factory comprises several baroque buildings, and was a respectable industrial complex of seven buildings as early as 1810. The construction of a cutting and rolling mill in 1829 constituted the factory’s largest extension. After the finery of iron was phased out, both finery forges, the cutting and rolling mill, as well as the coal depot, fell into disrepair.

The moat (Hammerbach), which is drained off the Ruwer via a weir, flows down a steep slope to the Ruwer via a partly artificially bricked-up terrace ledge. Two moats were drained off from the Hammerbach; factory buildings were established on either side of these, and up to ten water wheels in total were operated. The larger moat for the two former finery forges has been completely preserved, and rages through a tunnel like a waterfall.

The complex is dominated by the residential home on the upper terrace level. This is a one-storey, rendered slate-rubble construction with 15 window bays, running parallel to the slope and therefore lining the street on only one side. The building, only one room deep, was constructed in four phases starting from the 18th century. It is harmonised by the rows of windows and mansard roof, giving it a distinguished, quite noble, appearance. Details, such as the wooden framed windows from the late 18th century, baroque door leaves, and windows divided by sash bars, have been preserved.

Next to the residential home stands the former baking house. Beneath it on the northern side, the former rolling mill has been preserved as ruins. The iron depot of one of the finery forges has survived as a one-storey building with a hipped gable roof. The saw mill, which already existed in 1812, together with the stables, which have been modified according to their purpose, constitutes a fully preserved factory building. It is an elongated slate-rubble building, half-timbered in parts, with hipped gable roof. The technical equipment (mill wheel, reciprocating saw) has been preserved. The complex also includes a 19th-century chain suspension bridge over the Ruwer.

The preserved buildings and their arrangement forming a functional moat system demonstrate the method of production, as well as the baroque layout. The present-day structures also reflect the technical changes, while still keeping the original design.

The finery forge includes the garden at the southern end and the former farmland located above the mill’s ditch.  The property sprawls as far as the preserved weir on the Ruwer. The entire historic complex of the Pluwig finery forge is bordered by the Ruwer, which also forms the district boundary, and by the road to Ollmuth. This protected area with its buildings, including the natural riverbed at the bend in the Ruwer, is considered as an architectural entity.

 

Öffnungszeiten: freely accessible

Karte des Ruwertals

Please click on the map to enlarge.

Back to overview