Sights

Duisburgerhof

The buildings of the Duisburgerhof, flanked by towers, stand next to a park-like copse in the southern outskirts of the Ruwer municipality, not far from the road to Eitelsbach.

This farm originally belonged to the gentry von Schonenbergs, who sold it to the Archbishop of Trier, Philipp Christoph von Sötern, in the 17th century. The farm was auctioned during the French period, and, in the 19th century, was bequeathed by its owner to the College of Bishops in Trier, which continues to own it even today.

Two sections of the present-day farm complex date back to the Middle Ages. The first is the four-storey residential tower on the south-west corner, which is preceded by a stairwell tower. It was built in the 14th century, and has a round-arch entrance, bricked up except for the doorway, facing the farmyard. Some of the windows have ogival, red sandstone frames, while a coat-of-arms frame hangs above the old entrance. It bears an inscription stating that Hugo von Schonenberg, Trier cathedral singer and Secular canon, had had the residential tower renovated and updated in 1571, giving the second and fourth floors new windows. The stairwell tower contains a stone spiral staircase in whose shaft a recess was made for a tether. It was given its own Renaissance-style entrance with the von Schonenberg coat of arms in 1588. The former residential building on the north-west corner, which is today used as a stable, was also designed in such a way that it could be defended if necessary.

The rest of the buildings were redesigned/reconstructed in the 19th century, thus the former stables were converted into a hall in 1840, which is now adjoined to the eastern side of the residential tower. Even today, the Duisburgerhof is used by the College of Bishops, which is involved with wine-growing and agriculture, as a farm building.

Öffnungszeiten: on request

Karte des Ruwertals

Please click on the map to enlarge.

Back to overview